- 17 September 2021
- by End Child Poverty
- Category: Blog
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP) 17 October 2021: Ideas for Action
What is IDEP?
The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP) is a day for awareness, advocacy and community actions to address poverty. It is marked every year on 17th October, through various activities across the globe.
What is the IDEP 2021 Theme?
This year’s theme is, "Building Forward Together: Ending Persistent Poverty, Respecting all People and our Planet." The IDEP 2021 theme focuses on efforts by communities to build resilience in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic; tackling the intergenerational persistence of extreme poverty; and, responding to the global challenge of climate change and realising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
How can I or my community and organisation take part in IDEP activities?
We welcome you to join us this IDEP, by:
- Promoting awareness about child poverty and how to tackle it, through online messaging, public forums, media campaigns, and other such events.
- Leading advocacy and lobbying efforts that call decision makers and policy influencers to task, so that child poverty is addressed as a priority concern at all levels of society.
- Taking action within your community to respond to the immediate needs of children, including providing resources for children’s education, nutrition, health, ending violence against children, and safeguarding their overall wellbeing and rights.
5 Ideas for IDEP
- Engage media: Use social media and mainstream mass media to talk about IDEP, the urgent need to address child poverty, and possible solutions to overcome child poverty. Visit our website for an IDEP Media Pack and more information.
- Teach children the SDGs: Teach children about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and empower them to take action. Join us as we virtually launch the SDGs Academy for Children on 16th October 2021. The SDGs Academy for Children an initiative by Arigatou International that provides a safe space and learning programmes for children to engage in sustainable development. Visit our website for more information.
- Photo Contest: Participate in the #SnapsForChange End Child Poverty photo contest, which will be launched on IDEP, 17th October 2021. Visit our website for more details.
- Online Event: Organise an online event to mark IDEP or during the month of October. We also invite you to participate in other virtual events by Arigatou International and our partners. Follow us on social media and subscribe to our newsletter to receive all the latest updates and event announcements.
- Tell Your Story: Share with us what you have planned for IDEP and post your stories and photos on social media using #EndChildPoverty and #AllForChildren.