The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP) is a global day of awareness, advocacy and action against poverty; marked every 17 October. This year, IDEP takes the theme: Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty. The theme is anchored on commemoration of the 30th Anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), which recognizes the right of every child to a standard of living adequate for the child’s physical, mental, spiritual, moral and social development.
You can take these simple steps and become part of IDEP 2019
- Create Spaces to listen to children, welcome their thoughts and wisdom and act on poverty affecting them.
- Take part in the 3rd IDEP Photo Contest
- Share your story with us on what you are doing the end poverty
- Give material belongings to children, donate funds to children organizations, volunteer your time and expertise for children
- Join the conversation on social media by using all your available social media channels to communicate about child poverty and violence against children, and what communities can do to eradicate child poverty and end violence against children. Connect with us on Facebook; Twitter and Instagram
- Advocate and lobby through meeting policy makers, writing and disseminating advocacy statements as well as advocacy through the media
- Organize Spiritual observance reflecting on eradication of poverty, according to your faith tradition
- Teach Sustainable Development Goals (SDGS) especially SDG 1 on ending poverty
Learn more about these steps from our toolkit.